photo botslide.jpg

on anosmia - Life With No Sense of Smell

Sunday 22 March 2015

 

I love perfume.

Well... I love the IDEA of perfume. I love the pretty bottles, the feeling of using a luxury product and the hope that people will be distracted by how I smell and not notice that my winged eyeliner is painfully uneven. A girl can live in hope.

Ever since I can remember I have had no sense of smell. I don't often feel like I'm missing out because I never knew what it was like to smell and have no concept of what a smell really is (but yes I can taste the difference between a potato and an onion).

Anyhow, the whole anosmia situation makes perfume buying... Tricky. I tend to be drawn to the prettiest bottles then need to rely on whoever I'm shopping with at the time to confirm that it does smell good, it does suit me and it is worth the investment. This is where honesty is realllly important because all too often we say 'oh yes that's nice' because we don't want to offend a friend but I like to think my mum/boyfriend/shopping partner du jour is kind enough to let me not walk around smelling horrific for the sake of a pretty bottle.

So now if you ever bump into me in the hospital coffee shop smelling like I'm trying to attract wild males on a night out in town you'll know why! And maybe not judge too harshly! A lot of hope going on here.

I'll leave it there with a plea for your suggestions of perfume that comes in a pretty or interesting bottle to force other people to smell next time I find myself in boots and this picture of me 5 years ago. I went to the toilet at the library and came back to find a kind friend had left this on my desk. Hint: it didn't work.


Love,
Beccy x

No comments:

Post a Comment

 photo envye.jpg
envye blogger theme